December 20 2014
Text Sizer

Navigation

sponsor

Feel free to read the forums, but you must register to post or reply.
Click HERE to register

View Thread
Wolfer Nation Main Categories Trapping
newbie question.....

Print Thread

16-01-2012 01:16 PM newbie question.....

eyesniper
General Member

Warn Level 0
I may just be imagining this but it seems that when I four coil some of my traps it increases the pan tension? It seems that the pan is much harder to push down once four coiled. Am I correct in this or just imagining things? Is there any way to correct this?

17-01-2012 01:10 AM RE: newbie question.....

silkyplainscoyote
General Member

Warn Level 0
Yes, four coils will increase the pan tension about 1 more pound than 2 coils. You can adjust the pan tension by loosening the pan bolt a tad but remember that you won't get as light of a pan tension whenever your trap is 4 coiled.

17-01-2012 01:03 PM RE: newbie question.....

eyesniper
General Member

Warn Level 0
I did this to mb550's an there is no pan bolt obviously and I don't want to go bending the dog on these traps for what u pay for em. I assume these would be strictly coyote traps when four coiled in this case?

17-01-2012 02:33 PM RE: newbie question.....

silkyplainscoyote
General Member

Warn Level 0
Oh, ok. I personally don't own any MB 550's but I have heard that you can reduce the pan tension by bending the dog down a litte. But as you stated you would prefer not to. I don't blame you, they are a very nice trap. I also know a lot of guys just run the 2 coil for coyotes even in freeze/thaw condiitions and say they don't have any problem with them performing in those conditions.

17-01-2012 10:34 PM RE: newbie question.....
TexA
General Member

Warn Level 0
I bought my first dozen of the MB 550 4 coils shortly after our season began this year.
Took some of the straight out of the box, put them in various sets and started catching Coyotes the very next day.
Ended-up the season with 31 of them buggers
and I am planning on putting another dozen in my packbasket for next season too !!!!

Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard