October 25 2014
Text Sizer

Navigation

sponsor

Feel free to read the forums, but you must register to post or reply.
Click HERE to register

View Thread
Wolfer Nation Main Categories Trapping
Dirt hole trap placment?

Print Thread

20-02-2010 02:50 PM Dirt hole trap placment?
JSTJ704

Warn Level 0
I watched the teachers of the night DVD dirt hole. I have always set my trap 9 or 10" back and offset some. After watching the DVD I been placing my trap 10" to the right of the hole. I was kinda confused after watching it because i had it pounded in my my head to set the trap in front of the hole. I made 4 sets today set up 10" to the right of the hole. Is that where my trap placement be. What do you guys think.

20-02-2010 04:45 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?

Ccary1
General Member
Veteran Member

Warn Level 0
i don't think there is a correct trap placement ( except where the yote steps, lol). travel ways, terrain, too many variables at every set.
i always am hopeful that what i'm offering him will keep him there long enuff to step on the pan.
rarely do i have only one scent at a set when fur trapping.

21-02-2010 02:24 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
ghaskew
General Member

Warn Level 0
Ccary1 im with you i don't think its a huge deal. JSTJ704 if you are looking for some guidence i seen the best yote demonstration last fall at a trapping convention by a man named Mark June the crowed around him and thier responce was unlike any other. he has a web page, videos, and books on it. he swares by a 9" back and 3" to the right. has stats to back it up.if nothing else a great video.
trapping isn't a hobby its a life style.

23-02-2010 06:52 AM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
Carolina Foxer
General Member

Warn Level 0
I usually offset to the right about 2-3 inches. Although this year I moved my trap back further than I usually did, and I had better results. I usually did about 5 inches for fox, 8-9 for coyote. This year, I did about 6or 7 inches for fox, 10-11 inches for coyote. It HELPED!!

As long as you keep your lure out of reach and make them work for it, and if you trap is bedded well, they should hit the pan eventually.

26-02-2010 12:38 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
bob stinnett
General Member

Warn Level 0
in my area i like the 9 in. back and off set, to one side or the other, 2 in. or there about. i think the fish mill i spread around the area of the trap keeps him interested and makes him move his feet more.

28-02-2010 12:33 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
Linvol
General Member

Warn Level 0
Place it solid and should catch animal . Make the animal stay long enough to step on the pan. Guides work to so bed the trap just, don't put it upside down.

28-02-2010 06:34 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment? | Edited by strow1 28-02-2010 06:41 PM
strow1
General Member
Veteran Member

Warn Level 0
I tend to set back a little farther than most 12-18” pan center. You will get more rear leg catches this way and if your staking your gonna need shock springs and powered up traps or your gonna get pullouts.

If your in doubt start setting 2-3 traps per dirthold or blind set them on the trails coming in. Traps are cheap. Set heavy! And use the biggest trap possible, with the biggest kill area. Enlarged pans, steel screen etc.

JMO.
I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.? - Charles Bukowski

13-03-2010 12:32 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?

Clint Locklear
General Member
Super Admin

Amen , set heavy. I like a trap 10-14 somewhere in front of the hole and one 9-10 on a backward 45 degree from the hole to take the ones that work the set from the back and sides. Put the traps on drags and do not be surprised to have two hanging around waiting on you. Coyotes seem to do there each individual thing and few have read were they are supposed to step.

mass and heavy setting always wins

21-03-2010 10:06 AM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
strow1
General Member
Veteran Member

Warn Level 0
...the best lure in the world is another 6 dz traps in the ground and another thermos of strong coffee in the ride. Smile
I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.? - Charles Bukowski

21-03-2010 08:06 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
Youtube
General Member

Warn Level 0
I like my trap as close to the hole as possible at a 45 degree angle bedded in real, real, real tight. With a real, real, real, light pan; Im talking about if you look at the trap wrong it will fire.
The MH Line

31-03-2010 11:46 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
Bullneck
General Member

Warn Level 0
Youtube wrote:
I like my trap as close to the hole as possible at a 45 degree angle bedded in real, real, real tight. With a real, real, real, light pan; Im talking about if you look at the trap wrong it will fire.

That light pan will get you in trouble real fast in cold weather when temps drop and dirt gets damp or heavy

02-04-2010 02:18 AM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
Steel neck tie
General Member

Warn Level 0
I SEEN WHERE THEY DID A STUDY OF WHERE ANIMALS STEPPED. THEY PUT SCENT IN A HOLE AND THEN MARKED THE LOCATION OF EACH FOOT PRINT IN THE DIRT AROUND THE HOLE. I THINK FOX WERE 6" OFFSET 3" AND YOTES WERE 9" OFFSET 4". I TRY TO SET FOR BOTH BY PLACING MY PAN 6" OFFSET 3" AND PLACE THE JAW GUARD 9" OFFSET 4" TO MAKE THE YOTE STEP WHERE THE FOX WOULD. I'M STILL NEW AT THIS GAME, ALWAYS TRYING TO LEARN SOMETHING, JUST THOUGHT I'D SHARE WHAT I WAS TRYING. AS FAR AS PAN TENSION, I'M WITH YOUTUBE. I ADJUST MY PAN TO FALL FREE UNDER IT'S OWN WEIGHT, THAT GIVES ME ABOUT 12OZ. PAN WHEN MY TRAP IS SET. I HAVEN'T HAD ANY COLD SNAPS YET. HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP SOMEONE, THANKS, DAVE

05-04-2010 12:04 PM RE: Dirt hole trap placment?
Youtube
General Member

Warn Level 0
Well where I trap it doesn't get real cold and I usually cover with peat moss, so heavy is not a propblem. But I do use the mb 550 rc and the heavier pan tension works also I think its just personal opinion, as long as you have it bedded right the trap only fires when they step on the pan.
The MH Line

Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard