September 25 2017
Text Sizer

Navigation

sponsor

Feel free to read the forums, but you must register to post or reply.
Click HERE to register

View Thread
Wolfer Nation Other Categories Guns
Reloading Question?

Print Thread

21-12-2012 11:28 AM Reloading Question?
scout1
General Member

I'm shooting a .300win. mag, 165gr. ballistic tip, 72gr. IMR4350. Shooting on average 3030fps. Pretty darn accurate out to 800yds. Was told if i load a slower burning powder such as RL25 I could get more velocity. I'm assuming maybe couple hundred fps. Don't won't to shoot a compressed load either. Is it really worth it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

21-12-2012 11:57 AM RE: Reloading Question? | Edited by strow1 21-12-2012 12:03 PM
strow1
General Member
Veteran Member

If what you are shooting is working and your happy I'd leave it be. It does sound like you are running the 165's a little slow.

If you want to tinker I would look into a higher BC bullet (Amax, MK, Scenar, Berger) in the 180gr range. I ran the 178AMax for quite awhile and it is NOT fur or meat friendly. The Scenars have a thick hard jacket and have been inconsistent on game for me. Never killed anything with the bigger MK or Bergers but have heard lots of good things.

I would also look into a less temperature sensitive power in the burn rate you are look for. Check out the Hodgdon Extreme line. Approach the compressed loads with some common sense and you will be fine. Look for pressure signs and err on the side of caution. At +800yds the velocity SD/ES is almost as important as the 100-200yd group size.

If you are not gonna run the 300WM hard you might as well get a 308... haha.
I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.? - Charles Bukowski

21-12-2012 01:25 PM RE: Reloading Question?
scout1
General Member

Thanks for info Strow. The .300win mag is a very good round. I like the 165 bal. tip. It lays the deer down in a hurry.

21-12-2012 01:54 PM RE: Reloading Question?
strow1
General Member
Veteran Member

The Nosler BT is my go to bullet. They have been consistent terminally and accurate.

Check out the JBM ballistics calculator to see if tuning up a hotter load with the 165NBT will be worth your effort.

I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.? - Charles Bukowski

23-12-2012 11:18 AM RE: Reloading Question?
Travis Wolford
General Member

Accu bonds melt deer in thier tracks. I have little exp with .300's however my exp with 4350 and 4650 is that it is very temp sensitive. More guns have had come aparts with those powders than all others combined. Try 3031 or Benchmark. Look for a bullet with a good ballistic coefficient, the higher the bc the better. Rate of twist in your barrel will determine how big of a bullet you can stabilize so keep that in mind. But to answer you question I will ask this, do you think 75-150fps will make a noticeable difference? Is it worth the trouble? 800yds of accuracy is pretty damn good so think about about that before you revamp it all.

24-12-2012 08:29 PM RE: Reloading Question?
scout1
General Member

I was just thinking of getting an 8lb jug of the 4350. I'm kinda new to reloading. I do try and keep it simple though. Me and my dad use it both in our 300s and 270s. Me or him have never had any problems with it. Funny thing is, we both shoot abolt 300s, His is stainless mine is not. We shoot the same load down to the bullet. Mine averages +/- 150 fps faster??? Thanks for the input.

03-03-2016 03:57 AM RE: Reloading Question?

VA_Boy
General Member

I've shot more .300 loads than any other rifle round combined. Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, and Partitions galore. What you intend on doing with the load and how you want it to perform is going to tell you what powder you need. Barrel length can be a factor if your running something short. you should be fine with that respect. As far as more speed, your definitely in the low end of velocity for 165 grainers in the .300 winnie. A lot may disagree with what I'm going to say, but the chrony won't lie. More times than not, going to a faster burning powder will give you more speed in the .300 winnie. I ran 4350 for a long time. And a lot of 4831. I started looking at Alliant powders more. I run Alliant Reloader 17 if I want speed. With 165 ballistic tips your going to be in the 3200 range with a 72 or 72.5 grain load of R-17. With 180 grainers, and 70 grs of R-17 you'll be where you are now with 165's. 3070 or better. It drives tacks in every gun I have put it through. Not temp sensitive. And not a compressed load. Your barrel's throat will be a determining factor for accuracy. The most possible accuracy anyway. I run mine .010 (10 thousandths) of an inch off the rifling in my model 700. In a browning, you could probably go .005 off the rifling. The a-bolts I have been around like the bullet to kiss the rifling. Or the ones I have loaded for anyway. Your mileage may vary. If you really want to know what your rifle likes, just measure your throat. take a piece of fired brass and drill out the primer pocket so that a wooden dowel or cleaning rod will fit through it. Take the bullet you will be loading and put it in the neck of the case and push the brass fully into the chamber. Start sliding the cleaning rod through the back of the primer pocket and push until you feel it stop. Mark the cleaning rod/dowel where it meets the case head. Take the brass and bullet out and slide the rod/dowel back through the primer pocket with the bullet in the case neck and run your rod/dowel to the mark and measure the overall length. This is your chamber length to the rifling. Id start by loading batches of 4 or 5 backing off .010 of your chamber measurement and go from there. Try .002 increments from there. Hornady makes a deal that you can do this with if you don't want to drill a case out. Same principal. Lol. Like I said in the beginning, what you want to do with the load will tell you more than anything on how you should load it. If your happy with it, and your making consistent hits at 800 yards, I'd leave it alone. Lol. Try some of the Alliant R-17. You won't be disappointed.

09-07-2017 08:12 AM RE: Reloading Question?
41magnum
General Member

I'd ask the Pro's here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/
designing and building trappers tools and gear
www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you get!
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.

Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard