May 28 2017
Text Sizer

Navigation

sponsor

Feel free to read the forums, but you must register to post or reply.
Click HERE to register

View Thread
Wolfer Nation Main Categories Snaring
New to snaring from Arkansas

Print Thread

04-01-2017 11:28 PM New to snaring from Arkansas
bobcat_trapper
General Member

Warn Level 0
Hi everybody I can snare beaver coons but want to get into coyotes and cats. Is a 60 inch 3/32 mico lock with add on deer stop a good one?. I bought 30 fiberglass 4ft rods to cut down to 2ft for making snare supports. In Ark we can only uses a one piece lock. I used the large washer before. What the best setup I need. And going to buy a copy of C Locklear high performance snaring and John G one too.

05-01-2017 11:07 AM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
nathan408
General Member

Warn Level 0
I would just like to say welcome. We are not allowed to use snares in NC except for beaver and I don't trap beaver, at least not yet. I am sure someone will help you out with your questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here it does take a little time to get a response sometimes. Like I said welcome.

05-01-2017 07:40 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
Fleshing-one
General Member
Veteran Member

Warn Level 0
It should work fine for what you are doing. I use Micro Locks and like them. You can also use #9 wire as a snare support.

05-01-2017 08:19 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
bobcat_trapper
General Member

Warn Level 0
Hi and thanks I was going to order 4 dz to start with. I want to get good at snaring. I fount the 60 inch 3/32 snare 16.50 a dz from mb. I don't think I can find them any cheaper.

06-01-2017 07:11 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
Fleshing-one
General Member
Veteran Member

Warn Level 0
If you find out snaring is something you are really going to get into you might want to consider building your own. All you need is cable cutters, a hammer and an anvil or a hard surface to hammer on.

11-01-2017 09:26 AM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
swamper
General Member

Warn Level 0
Hi folks,

I have browsed around in this forum for several years and finally saw somebody that can feel my angst in regards to trapping regs in my state. So I joined up. I don't know if my 2 cents is worth much but I have some practical experience in running snares in Arkansas on yotes.

Get ready for lots of knock downs. I have tried blind trail sets, cubby sets, and bait pile sets with the area saturated with snares around a big bait pile. I've set snares in triplicate about 2-3' apart on the same access point. In Ar you can't have exposed bait within 20ft of a trap/snare. Snares can't have over a 12'" loop and can't be over 10" off the ground to the bottom of the loop. Pretty much on an adult yote here the top of the snare will hit them in the chest. Bobcats too.

I spent days on end trying this and that with snares because of how cheap they are. In my use of them I have found that just about 2-4" higher and 2" bigger loop would have a lot better result. But it's not legal here. So I moved to flat sets with Bridger #2 dogless 4 coiled. It was an epiphany. Snares have their place here still and in my use it's in the water for beaver and otter doing hip catches.

What I use for snares are Dakota Line's Ghost Rider Versatile Snares with a Paws-I-Trip 78 shock spring connected to the swivel with a lap link on the end that connects the extension. I use a crimp on deer stop set outside of the snare loop to hold my 12" loop and a 21/2" deer stop. I use a 6' 3/32' snare extension with a 3/16' quick link to connect them. I almost exclusively tie off to trees. The extension gets wrapped around the tree to take up slack as needed. I use the same extension and shock spring on my footholds. Without that spring and that much cable pullouts will happen or the snare will dig in the hide if you have to run it all the way out to tie off, it's not an if, it's WILL happen on the footholds. Since we can't use locking snares they don't choke out and continue to fight the snare.

I may be missing the boat but in my book I'll stick with footholds instead of snares on yotes and cats. I'm down in the SW corner of the state and spend most of my trapping time in swamps, pine thickets, and cutovers. I went from not catching anything with snares to "it's almost automatic" catches with footholds and flat sets. First catch times with my flat sets happen as fast as 16-18 hrs. after building the set. I just put in 2 sets on the same lane at about 3:30 one evening. At 7:00 am there was a yote waiting on me. Needless to say for what I'm doing and how I do it with predators snares are not on the list any more.

Good luck. you might get better results than I do with snares but you won't know without trying. I've tried a little of everything myself. You just have to find what works for you.

14-01-2017 08:31 AM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
nathan408
General Member

Warn Level 0
Welcome Swamper and great post. Snares in NC are for beaver or SHTF providing meat for your family trapping. Sounds like you have the same situation with a few more words, you can snare but.... Support you trapping association to fix these asinine laws.

26-01-2017 10:52 AM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
Dustin_Drews
General Member

Warn Level 0
Good day, I kill coyotes for a living.
This is how I set a snare. Fast simple effective! You can catch a coyote on any trail no matter how open it is! Just believe it will work.
YouTube Video

My snare support I come up with... it works every where and it is a all in one system! U will love them if you give it a chance!YouTube Video

God Bless
Dustin
You got one shot at life... Where are your sights aimed at today?

27-01-2017 06:26 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
Fleshing-one
General Member
Veteran Member

Warn Level 0
Good videos Dustin, good to see you back on here.

24-02-2017 08:02 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
bobcat_trapper
General Member

Warn Level 0
Hi and thanks I have snared otter's in my coyote snares along the creeks. I ordered the stuff to build my own. Build alot out of 1000 ft of 3/32 . I want to get where I can snare them. I know I am doing something wrong. I do have a dz of bridger #2 offset 4 coil. Best money I spent. I am going to get a dz #2 of doggless by next yr. I fount a lock I am going to try pro mico lock. More of a killing lock. I wish Arkansas I could use the #3 bridger but a 1/8 inch too big. May have a dz modified. Thanks

25-02-2017 05:27 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
Fleshing-one
General Member
Veteran Member

Warn Level 0
If you are catching Otter in your Coyote snares it sounds like they are too low to the ground. What distance off the ground are they?

28-02-2017 12:33 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas | Edited by nathan408 28-02-2017 01:29 PM
nathan408
General Member

Warn Level 0
bobcat_trapper wrote:
Hi and thanks I have snared otter's in my coyote snares along the creeks. I ordered the stuff to build my own. Build alot out of 1000 ft of 3/32 . I want to get where I can snare them. I know I am doing something wrong. I do have a dz of bridger #2 offset 4 coil. Best money I spent. I am going to get a dz #2 of doggless by next yr. I fount a lock I am going to try pro mico lock. More of a killing lock. I wish Arkansas I could use the #3 bridger but a 1/8 inch too big. May have a dz modified. Thanks

Just looked up your regs and the jaw spread sucks. You are limited to 6" on land but can use a TS 85 in water?!!! Ridiculous. As you said modify some or have it done, an inside lamination would bring you into the legal range on the #3 Bridger which I can highly recommend. Not sure how you modify your's but I do the following; Bend the jaw tips up, the spring pin ends down around 45 deg, replace the pan tension screw to remove pan slop (5m-.8 x 16 works for the batch that I got, 0.193 diameter) and night latch the pan. Add a third swivel, a PIT 19 shock spring and a MB chain stake and you've got a predator catching machine. I would highly recommend the #3 over the #2, my two cents.

28-02-2017 12:35 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas | Edited by nathan408 01-03-2017 12:15 PM
nathan408
General Member

Warn Level 0
Fleshing-one wrote:
If you are catching Otter in your Coyote snares it sounds like they are too low to the ground. What distance off the ground are they?

About 4 inches, an otter is a pretty small critter Fleshing. HahahaSnicker

28-02-2017 01:24 PM RE: New to snaring from Arkansas
nathan408
General Member

Warn Level 0
Dustin you've got some good videos. I have been subscribed to your Youtube channel for a while now and I enjoy your videos. I have considered starting a channel of my own and uploading some videos. Maybe in future I will.

Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard